Monday, September 15, 2008

Throw the Baby Out

Do you know the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"? In the case of culture and language learning, that's what has happened. After extensive personality indexing and learning style testing Marshall and I have completely reversed roles! He has become the bold "forge ahead even if we mess up" personality while I have reverted to "hide in the apartment until I know I can say it/do it with some measure of confidence".

We're learning our numbers right now. I have been tested and proven as a visual and experiential learner, yet I find myself not clicking with the vocabulary until I have heard a recording of our tutor reciting the vocabulary. I'm forcing myself to look at the numbers written out to bridge the gap between sound and form. Marshall, on the other hand, is preferring to look and remember before listening - he who is such a strong auditory learner!

In short, throw the baby out!

No comments: